How This Blog Came To be

Monday, January 31, 2011

Milestones?

As a baby, our mother certainly had her hands full. If it weren't for the constant trips to the ER for ear infections, she is convinced there are some milestones we would have reached much sooner as infants. For her, it was a little creepy to realize her beautiful twins were always sick together... even when we were sick with a illness that was neither contagious nor infectious.



Another thing she eventually got used to, was our dire need to have a pacifier in our mouth anytime we weren't feeding. 


When it was time to clean house, my brother who was three at the time would be able to help as much as a toddler can. As for the twins? We would be placed in one of those play pens so we could be close and safe as she went through the daily chores.


Our mother was proud that we could flip over finally. Most infants learn this trick somewhere in their third month of life. For Aspenn and I, we learned it much later due to our constant ear infections that would mess with our equilibrium and make it impossible for us to crawl let alone walk.


On one of these cleaning days, we were placed into the play pen I flipped over and decided to crawl over to my sister to steal her pacifier. Being the pacifier child she was, this caused her to scream so hard that our mother heard her over the vacuum cleaner.


After turning the vacuum cleaner off and heading over to our play pen. She distinctly heard me sucking on something. She has stated on multiple occasions that you could hear it from another room when I would do what she found next: Peering over the rail of the play pen, my mother caught me with two pacifiers in my mouth. I was happy and content with both, but Aspenn was screaming her head off. She began to find us often like that, and had started to place us in the play pen farther and farther apart.


On another occasion, our mother was yet again cleaning the house. But this time was going to be different. She had heard Aspenn scream in such a way she came running to our play pen, only to see me standing on top of Aspenn as she lay on her back, making that noise babies do when they are in a bouncy chair as I bounced on top of Aspenn.


This was our mother's first glimpse at my Doppelgänger side.

No comments:

Post a Comment