How This Blog Came To be

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sleep? Who Needs Sleep?

Cribs are a common item that most parents get for their babies. However, few kids use them as a sort of battering ram as my twin and I did growing up.


My mother had to arrange our cribs fairly close together so that they could fit in our brother's room along with his bunk-beds, so she had to line the cribs to be about six or eight inches apart. It didn't take long before she would regret the cramped quarters she had created. Needless to say, as soon as my twin and I could flip over on our tummies, we would figure out how to make them "crash" together. 


Late one evening, my mother was trying to sleep between one of our feedings. She was soon awakened by a noise that would have her heart racing as she rushed to see what was going on. She sleepily rubbed her eyes as she looked over to see my twin and I rocking our cribs away from each other and then right back to the center where they would make a loud "CRASH." No matter how she tried to arrange us, we always figured out a way to rock them so that they would hit.


All these years later my mother can laugh about it, "You two were rockers.  You would get on your hands and knees and rock yourselves back and forth until you finally gave up and went to sleep.  The beds would rock in unison, but when one of you would get off the beat, they would crash like the horns of rams.  It made that same horrible crashing sound.  Your brother would often sleep through it.  We always said he could sleep through anything.  Maybe this is where he got his training."

No comments:

Post a Comment